Windows 8.1 Out Now

Topic: Windows 8.1 Out Now Read 2993 times

Windows 8.1 Out Now
on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:20 PM

Most people will probably be still playing on their Windows 7 machines. However for people who are interested in the Windows 8 progression, Microsoft have released 8.1 to the public. If you are in existing windows 8.1 user, don't fret, you are entitled to the Windows 8.1 upgrade free of charge. If your one of those people who don't like Windows 8 with a passion, well the purpose for 8.1 was to get the un-liked OS some needed attention.

One big note that people will like is that the Metro Tiles that were shown each time you start your computer, are no longer necessary, user now has the option to bypass that and log onto their regular desktop. The other note directed to gamers is the availablity of Direct X 11.2 will be available for the new platform, the API that boasts the new Tiled Resources functionality.

For an inside look of what to expect with the new OS watch the video below.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb5caeSo00" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb5caeSo00</a>
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:18:38 AM by [ADMIN]Gregws »

Re: Windows 8.1 Out Now
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:42:09 PM
For a touch screen PC or tablet? Fantastic stuff.

For a gaming desktop who the hell cares about these features (in the video)

direct X 11.2... i wants my mantle! lol

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:34:37 PM
Yeah well, the biggest mistake Microsoft made was trying to force people into a UI that was directed soley on Portable devices, and they forgot the mainstream PC user who simply just wants a PC to operate like a normal PC. Forcing the Metro UI, and no start button and no start menu was something they really should have thought through. They should have provided both options, Start menu and Metro UI.

As for advantages, on paper it's supposed to be more efficient, especially on a computer running multiple cores, and just generally lighter than windows 7. From what I've read, Mantle doesn't wipe out Direct X entirely. It just utilizes the low level functions to reduce the CPU overhead Direct X adds. I think they can still utilize direct X 11.2 features within.

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:39:41 AM
I guess it will use one or the other, not both? But I dunno, come december I'm sure there will be tons of benchmark comparisons between the 2
Heres a youtube video of them discussing mantle at Nvidia convention.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RF0zgYFFNk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RF0zgYFFNk</a>

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:40:35 PM
I like the idea of gsync. Removing input lag should be #1 priority for gamers. It's amazing how much better you can perform when your cross hair moves in closer time with your mouse moving. As the guy said, it'd be nice if they both shared technologies.

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:13:40 AM
Thats for sure, Nvidia will never share anything

Windows 8 1 Out Now
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:01:45 AM
I would too, if I were to buy a new machine - or, I'd get one with no OS installed, and use the copy of Windows 7 I bought when it came out, and which is still sealed in it's box.

Recent Topics

AWGN has your End Game Coverage Tonight.: GET THIS   << MARCH Codes Free!!!  Free Itunes Gift Card Codes No Human Verification 2019 How To Win Itunes Gift Cards 2019 Free...
News for Campaign - week 1: GET THIS   << MARCH Codes Free!!!  Free Itunes Gift Card Codes No Human Verification 2019 How To Win Itunes Gift Cards 2019 Free...
Join in on the Community, AWGN Steam Community Group Now Live.: GET THIS   << MARCH Codes Free!!!  Free Itunes Gift Card Codes No Human Verification 2019 How To Win Itunes Gift Cards 2019 Free...
Auswarfare - Campaign Raffle: GET THIS   << MARCH Codes Free!!!  Free Itunes Gift Card Codes No Human Verification 2019 How To Win Itunes Gift Cards 2019 Free...

Recent Poll

You cannot see the results of this poll at the moment.

Who's Online

Online Now: 1
(Members: 0, Guests: 1)

There aren't any users online.